Tuesday, May 8, 2012

St-Ambroise Premium Taster's Pack by Mcauslan


This weekend was a great one! It was one of the first ones with nice weather this spring. I had three BBQs got up early made a lot of chores around the house and exercised sufficiently. I might have overindulged a little but it was all worth it and well deserved. One of my friend brought this box over to my place so we could have a try!

www.mcauslan.com

We started with the St-Ambroise India Pale Ale 5%
The first specialty beer to be bottled and sold in Quebec. Really tasted roasted wheat, bitter body and a very dark color for IPA. Not very magical if you ask me.

7/10

Than moved on to the Griffon Extra Blond 5%
I know it all depends on your mood, but this is the one I enjoyed the most a very nice yellow color but the taste is still too similar to the IPA. Its also a little sour by times. It says its faithful to the fine Quebec ales of the 1940's and 1950's whatever that means...

7.4/10

Followed by the Griffon Red Ale 4.5%
This cold filtered red ale has an intense smell of wheat. Tastes like the bottom of a copper canyon with a bitter ending. At the end of the day it is a red ale just in between commercial and artisan ones. Long to digest and heavy in the stomach.

7/10

And Finished with the St-Ambroise Apricot Wheat Ale 5%
One of the trademark beers of this brewery. At first taste it is similar to Domingo Coolers. Tastes very artificial but not very sweet in order to keep the taste of the beer. Very fruity, its the king of beer that you split with someone or that you enjoy only occasionally like it says on the label. Probably the only one of the four that I would try again. In a bad situation I might go for the extra blond.

7.2/10

14.99$ for 12 x 341ml in Quebec

No comments: